Tuesday, May 25, 2010

will it always be like this?

I had a random, frivolous conversation with a student today about Lady Gaga.
I think he was just trying to stall class, but at the end, he told me I should be an artist.  I told him to sit down and get ready for class.

I'm reading Reading Lolita in Tehran and it's been awesome in many ways.

1) Learning about Iran (and the start of its Islamic government; something I never knew about)
2) Just.. reading her.  and her take on literature.  it's this mix between literary criticism and a class, and I enjoy hearing what she says about literature, and experiencing the power of stories.  I like it.
3) I'm shocked that someone can write stuff like that and people will read it... (okay this was incredibly vague but steeeelll!)

I sometimes think of "great things."  Sometimes I want to just becoming a professor.  Sometimes I want to be a painter.  Sometimes I wish I had taken up swing dancing in college and become a mad hot ballroom-esque dancer.  Sometimes i wonder what it would be like to be a real artist.  I really enjoy teaching.  You get to wear many hats, and.. in a small sad way, encourage others to pursue what you didn't.  And make a difference.

Why am I talking about this?

I don't remember.

DANG IT.

THERE WAS A POINT TO THIS THERE REALLY WAS. ARGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment