Thursday, September 8, 2011

have to get this off my chest

You know when you do something embarrassing, and you still think back on it and you shudder, because you're embarrassed?

There's only a few moments like that in my life (the pure embarrassment, no humor, just embarrassment)...

today was a moment that wasn't THAT bad but my mind keeps replaying it in my mind.

In my H818 class, my prof opens it up to discussion and people have lots of ideas.  I kinda felt like a lot of people touted there "when I taught in X country.. blah blah" a bit, but it was fine.

When we got to "class norms" and the question was posed, what kind of norms should we have for our classroom, I thought (this was in the context of children and teachers and cultural biases) this question was directed to us as teachers with our own classrooms.


So... i open it up, stumbling and speaking too fast (when i get nervous i overspeak) about just my experiences dealing with cultural issues, identity, etc...... and how I want to open up my students for being able to dialogue not from just a "minority" standpoint and not to marginalize the "dominant culture" kids either.. (i can explain later.. this isn't the point)...

So then my professor nods and goes, so... open dialogue?  and i'm a little confused and go "yeah"

and the TF writes it down.

and then someone else says "I think people should say each other's names"
and then someone else says "i think we should try to be understanding of each other's viewpoints"

and THEN so on.

and THEN i realize.. after like the 4th or 5th point.. that.... WE WERE WRITING CLASS NORMS FOR THIS CLASS.. FOR THE CLASS I WAS IN..  SHE WASNT ASKING ABOUT HOW WE BUILD NORMS FOR THE CLASSROOM BUT FOR THIS SPECIFIC CLASS.
and i had NO REASON

TO
TALk
ABOUT
ANYTHING
THAT
I DID

I FEEL
LIKE
SUCH
A
LOOOOOOSEEEERRR!!!!!


gAH!



foot in the mouth

freaLZ!

2 comments: