Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My last piece on Steve Jobs.

I just read the eulogy by his sister: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/opinion/mona-simpsons-eulogy-for-steve-jobs.html

as I read this, I see people grasping at straws.
I see a man who was self-sufficient and good at what he does.
Who was good at being "good" and yet, that's not enough, is it?

Steve was not a saint.  Not even close.  The news/anecdotal accounts/hushed stories attest to that.

and yet, he affected his family so deeply.  the people he touched.  and here is a man, that may be closest to one who universally affected the world.  the contemporary alexander the great, caesar, or King Solomon, if you will.

Yet Solomon's wisdom prevails.  All is vanity.  There is nothing new under the sun.  Steve may have done his best at making his mark, but in the end, he will fade into history.

His last words tear at my heart.  "Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow."  I wonder.  were these words uttered in rapture or horror?  What did he see past those shoulders?  Those two words, expressed through a dying man's lips.  A man whose physical being will pass away, but whose soul will remain forever.

It hurts my heart.  Because he was a "great" man.. but greatness does not make for salvation.

What did he see?  Did he see the depths of hell automatically or did he see the complete righteousness of Christ illuminating the complete failings of his sin?  What will I see?

Even so, it is well with my soul.

1 comment:

  1. she paints such a different picture of him compared to accounts i've read/heard elsewhere... but yeah, the end--open to interpretation.

    i'm still kind of surprised how hung up you are on jobs.

    ReplyDelete